Friday, August 10, 2007

The Virtue of Being Observant

I think during my childhood days, I was an inquisitive but, not so observant child. Even during my school days I was not a very good observer. Some people are more observant than other right from childhood. Recently, I realized the subtle power of being observant which led to this blog entry.

A lookup for the word observant resulted in the following:

Adjective: observant
1. Pay close attention
2. Quick to perceive
3. Diligent in observing

Being observant helps to a great extent in both in Personal and Professional life.
In personal life,
* You pay close attention to your near and dear ones, you'll know their feelings, wishes, dreams and thoughts; the relationship cherishes. I'm sure most of the Mom's pay close attentions to their kids. So they know the best about their kids, right from what kind of food they like to what kind of girl/guy they would want.
* By being more observant and aware of your surroundings, you memory gets sharper.
* There is a great chance of you saving yourself from a mishap if you're really attentive and mentally active. I think doing something while dwelling on something else is really bad, though most of us would do that once in a while.

In professional life, the benefits are obvious. Any professional who is more observant will excel at his/her profession for e.g. an artist, manager ;-)

Most of us I think are more observant in professional life than personal life. Sometimes we're becoming too self-centered that we are always focusing on our problems and needs and failing to pay attention to our beloved ones. Well, neither being observant nor paying attention costs you anything at all except your energy.

I would like to end this heedful note with a bit of humour.

A lecturer teaching medicine was tutoring a class on ‘Observation’. He took out a jar of yellow-colored liquid. “This”, he explained, “is urine. To be a doctor, you have to be observant to color, smell, sight, and taste.”
After saying this, he dipped his finger into the jar and put it into his mouth. His class watched on in amazement, most, in disgust. But being the good students that they were, the jar was passed, and one by one, they dipped one finger into the jar and then put it into their mouth.
After the last student was done, the lecturer shook his head. “If any of you had been observant, you would have noticed that I put my second finger into the jar and my third finger into my mouth.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.