Sunday, August 5, 2007

Rebirth

I wanted to start Blogging couple of years ago. As most of my thoughts were related to work which involved proprietary projects too, I thought it wouldn't make sense to Blog. I know.. that sounds like a lame excuse :-) Now things have changed!! These days I am getting more interested towards a host of other stuff like music, cartoon, poetry,humour, travel, fitness and so on.. So, I think, this probably is the right time to start blogging and keep going.

And more importantly I work full-time on the most interesting Open source project - 'The Linux kernel'.Ok.. Ok.. I know some folks might have a disagreement. But, to me this is the most interesting project. I have started working for SUSE Labs, Novell (which contributes to ~10% of the whole of the Linux kernel development efforts). This, I think is a great opportunity and I could not have asked for more.

I feel 'Kernel development' is Fun, Fun with added responsibility. The Fun part is you make changes to the "Perpetual OS", any part that interests you. The added responsibility is making the Linux kernel better and better coping up with its "Rapid development" (when I say rapid, I mean it). Here, You get flamed for your bad code, you'll learn how not to write code. You follow the mailing list religiously, you'll know what's the best design. Technical merit matters and not individual decisions or politics.

I am getting all the motivation I can get and determined to do a fair job. I hope this opportunity will make me a better developer, a better thinker, a better communicator and a better person.

Feeling elated! As my boss pointed out, this probably is the start of a new life!

4 comments:

Rajat said...

Go Suresh! :-)

Suresh said...

@rajat: thanks dude.. guess better later than never :)

Roopa said...

I agree with you. Open Source is where you get to really learn your stuff. Good luck with your new project and keep writing :)

Suresh said...

@roopa: sure.. and Thanks!